Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Satan Says by Sharon Olds

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



Book: Satan Says

Author: Sharon Olds

Rating: 5 out of 5 blood drops

First Paragraph: I am locked in a little cedar box/with a picture of shepherds pasted onto/the central panel between carvings.


Review:
I didn't hear about her until my junior year in college. An instructor at the time brought this book and several others to class and asked each of us to choose one to study and write a similar poem about. When I asked for this book her response was "...okay...". Let me tell you, I felt encouraged and knew I was on my way to making an A in this course. (Sarcasm, can you love it?)


When I read this book, the first thing that struck me was how she organized it. I didn't realize a poet could do that! With each chapter title a new plateau of subject matter. I felt that I was being led down different tributaries to a large river. I wanted more!


She was raw. She confronted herself. It was like...well...getting your period for the first time. The shock. The thrill. The agony. It was all there. In book form. And no messy clean up. See Sharon's current controversy here.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home